Las Vegas 10 (58-58), Reno 4 (60-55) Box Score
- Zach Borenstein CF: 3-5, HR, 3 RBI, K, .264/.368/.516
- Peter Alonso 1B: 2-5, HR, 2B, 2 RBI, K, .251/.350/.556
- Dominic Smith LF: 3-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, .260/.335/.402
Alonso continues to trend upwards, and it is to the point where he is completely tearing the cover off the ball. Over his last eight games, he is hitting .429/.474/.943 with four home runs. He now has 101 RBI for the season, and is the first player at any affiliated level of professional baseball to reach the 100 RBI mark this year. Smith had a strong game, getting on base four times. He has been solid if a bit streaky since getting demoted in mid-July, but most notably has hit for more power. Christian Colon also got on base four times with two singles and two walks.
- RHP Nabil Crismatt (W, 3-3, 8.90 ERA): 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, BB, 7 K
- LHP P.J. Conlon (3-7, 7.09 ERA): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, K
- RHP Logan Taylor (1-1, 5.64 ERA): 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 0 BB, K
Crismatt finally had a good start following four atrocious ones. It was his first time throwing more innings than runs allowed since July 13th when he threw six scoreless innings. His overall numbers in Vegas are still ugly, with a .382 opponents batting average and 2.11 WHIP. Conlon has now made two relief appearances for the 51s, and both have been scoreless innings. It will be interesting to see if he can continue to thrive in this new role after struggling in the rotation.
Binghamton 3 (55-61), Richmond 1 (54-60) Box Score
- SS Andres Gimenez 2 for 5, 2B, RBI, SB, 2 K .305/.397/.407
- 3B Will Toffey 2 for 4, 2 2B, BB, K .321/.478/.528
Gimenez continues to be excellent after a slow start at Binghamton, already with four steals to add to his 28 at St. Lucie. Toffey is hitting .321/.478/.528 in 17 games with eight doubles, a homer, and a 15/16 BB/K since joining the Mets.
- RHP Mickey Jannis W (8-5) 7 IP, 4 H, ER, 3 BB, 5 K 3.92 ERA
- RHP Joshua Torres SV 1.1 IP 3 h, 4 K, 1.18 ERA
Torres has been pretty dominant in 29 games at Binghamton.
St. Lucie 4 (46-66), Clearwater 1 (61-53) Box Score
- 1B Jeremy Vasquez 2 for 4, HR, 2 RBI .234/.295/.351
- C Ali Sanchez 0 for 4, K .286/.307/.398
- 2B Wilmer Reyes 2 for 3, HR, K .375/.375/.750
Vasquez hit his ninth homer of the year, his third in High-A. Reyes, the combination name of good and virus, hit his first full-season home run, in his third game at High-A off a rehabbing Jerad Eickhoff. Reyes’ first 23 games were at rookie Gulf Coast League, so the High-A squad picked well for a needed middle-infielder.
- RHP Gabriel Llanes W, (6-9) 6.2 IP, 9 H, ER, BB, K, 4.56 ERA
- RHP Stephen Villines S, IP, 2 K, 0.43 ERA
The sidewinding Villines has been lights out since being promoted to High-A, with 23 strikeouts in 21 innings.
Greenville 11 (51-65), Columbia 1 (52-60) Box Score
Moreno has been cold lately, but is one of the more interesting athletic players left on the Fireflies. Winaker has hit for some nice power for Columbia and stretched is on base streak to 20 games.
- RHP Marcel Renteria 5.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 5 ER, BB, 9 K, 4.25 ERA
- RHP Conner O’Neil 2.2 IP, 2 BB, 3 K, 3.00 ERA
Renteria’s hard throwing unfortunately wasn’t effective against Greenville’s potent lineup as he let up six runs, including two homers.
Brooklyn 2 (28-25), Connecticut 0 (23-26) Box Score
That homer by Cortes was to right field, which is incredibly difficult to do at MCU park due to the humidity and the wind blowing in from the bay. That’s some power in the bat of Cortes.
Clearly James should not be in Brooklyn. Biff’s son, Wilson, is excelling as a reliever, but will most likely start next year. Eric Hanhold pitched a scoreless inning for rehabilitation.
Danville 8 (27-21), Kingsport 2 (25-23) Box Score
- CF Jarred Kelenic 0 for 3, BB, K .168/.294/.346
- SS Shervyen Newton 0 for 2, BB, HBP .281/.398/.461
- 2B Luis Santana 2 for 4, Run .352/.457/.461
- 3B Mark Vientos 2 for 4, 2 E .304/.380/.525
Vientos has 11 errors on the year. This is Santana’s second multi-hit game in a row. Vientos is hitting 16 for his last 36 and is tied for fourth in the league with nine homers.
- RHP Daison Acosta 4.2 IP, 6 H, 7 R, ER, 3 BB, 5 K 3.58 ERA
Acosta has struck out 33 in 32.2 innings pitched, but had a hard luck game with a couple errors behind him.
GCL Nationals 13 (19-24), GCL Mets 11 (20-24) Box Score
- LF Jacob Zanon 2 for 3, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI
- CF Desmond Lindsay 3 for 5, 2 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R
- SS Ronny Mauricio 0-5 .293/.320/.461
- RF Stanley Consuegra, 3 for 3, HR, 2B, 3 RBI, BB, CS .214/.287/.344
Zanon and Lindsay are on rehab assignments. Mauricio has been ice-cold in August, but has walked more than he has struck out (4/3 BB/K). Consuegra needed this game, he hits the ball hard, but hasn’t gotten the results recently.
- RHP Ramon Guzman 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 3 ER, 2 K 2.38 ERA
- RHP Brendan Hardy 3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K 3.65 ERA
Guzman has done well in the Gulf Coast, pitching to a 2.38 ERA in nine games. Hardy has struck out 16 in 12.1 innings, but has walked eight.
DSL Mets1 18 (37-21), DSL Angels 3 (18-40) Box Score
- 2B Felix Valerio 3 for 5, RBI, K .314/.409/.397
- CF Adrian Hernandez 1 for 5, HR, 3 RBI, K .255/.353/.396
- C Andres Regnault 3 for 4, 2 2B, 3 RBI, BB .330/.419/.570
Hernandez is hitting .308/.438/.615 in 7 games in August with two doubles and two homers. Regnault has continued to destroy the Dominican Summer League, with 26 extra base hits in 50 games.
- LHP Nelmerson Xavier Angela 2.1 IP, 2 BB, 4 K 2.20 ERA
Angela, the most interesting name in the Minor Leagues, left the DSL Angels hitless for a few innings.
DSL Diamondbacks2 12 (20-38), DSL Mets2 9 (27-31) Box Score
- SS Eliam Arias 3 for 6, 2B, 4 RBI, SB, 2 K .178/.294/.238
- CF Eduardo Salazar 1 for 3, BB, K .286/.376/.327
- LF Jean Carlos Soto 3 for 4, 2 2B, Sac .236/.301/.357
Jean Carlos Soto is hitting .355 in his last ten games. Salazar is hitting .480/.563/.480 in 8 games in August with a 6/6 BB/K Ratio.
- RHP Robert Colina 4 IP, 4 H, ER, 5 K 3.20 ERA
The 17-year-old Colina has 45 strikeouts in 45 innings, with a 1.16 WHIP in 12 games (nine started).
Las Vegas portion of recap done by Mojo Hill.