Las Vegas 51s (28-44) 8, Reno Aces (45-27) 4 Box Score
- Victor Cruzado CF: 2 for 4, 2 Runs, 2B, RBI, BB
- Dominic Smith 1B: 3 for 5, 2 Runs, 2B, 2 RBI
- Jio Mier SS: 2 for 5, 2 Runs, HR, RBI, 2 K
Dom Smith is now slashing .323/.374/.469 on the season. Amed Rosario was given the day off and Mier did his best impression of Rosario in the start.
- RHP Logan Taylor (1-1, 2.62 ERA): 2 IP, H, 2 R, 0 ER,
- LHP Kyle Regnault (1-0, 0.00 ERA): 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, K
- RHP Beck Wheeler (3-3, 6.83 ERA): 2.2 IP, K
- RHP Erik Goeddel (2-4, 6.67 ERA): 1 IP, H, K
- LHP Alberto Baldonado (0-1, 7.13 ERA): 1 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 K
- RHP Chasen Bradford (1-1, 4.26 ERA): 1 IP, 3 H, ER, K
It was another combined effort for the 51s. Logan Taylor got “the start.” Goeddel has quietly pitched well recently. He could be a MLB bullpen candidate if he keeps this up. Baldonado’s strike outs since his arrival to Vegas have dropped. Regnault has not given up a run in 11.1 AAA innings.
Binghamton Rumble Ponies (37-27) 7, Bowie Baysox (33-27) 2 Box Score
- Luis Guillorme 2B: 2 for 4, Run, RBI, K
- Matt Oberste 1B: 2 for 3, 2 Runs, RBI, BB
- David Thompson 3B: 2 for 4, Run, 2B, 2 RBI, K
Thompson continues his hot hitting. He has been hitting .321 his last 10 games and now has a .721 OPS on this season after a terrible start. His continued growth could mean a lot for the Mets. Guillorme’s OBP is now .343 after two more hits yesterday.
- RHP Mickey Jannis (5-2, 3.80 ERA): 8 IP, 6 H, 2 R, ER, 8 K
- RHP Luis Mateo (1-0, 2.75 ERA): 1 IP, 2 K
Jannis, a knuckleballer, went eight dominant innings to shut down his opponents. Mateo closed the door on the game to get the team a win.
St. Lucie Mets (32-35) 11, Daytona Tortugas (33-31) 5
- Jhoan Urena 3B: 2 for 3, 2 Runs, HR, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Patrick Mazeika C: 1 for 4, 2 Runs, HR, 2 RBI, BB, K
- Wuilmer Becerra LF: 2 for 5, Run, RBI, K
Both the all-stars homered in this one. They had a six-run fourth and tacked on a few runs towards the later innings to get the win. Asdrubal Cabrera went 2 for 4 as he began his rehab assignment. He played six innings at shortstop.
- RHP Justin Dunn (4-4, 4.71 ERA): 3.2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 3 K
- RHP Justin Brantley (3-1, 4.30 ERA): 2 IP, 4 H, ER, BB, 2 K
- RHP Johnny Magliozzi (4-1, 3.48 ERA): 3.1 IP, 3 H, 3 K
After a really good stretch, Dunn struggled in this one. He and the rest of the the team were bailed by the nice three inning performance by Magliozzi to really save the bullpen. He picked up his sixth save in the process.
Staten Island Yankees (1-0) 7, Brooklyn Cyclones (0-1) 4 Box Score
- Jacob Zanon CF: 1 for 4, Run, 2B, BB, K
- Leon Byrd SS: 0 for 2, Run, BB, K
- Carlos Sanchez C: 1 for 3, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, K
Not that much offense for the Cyclones in their opener and Edgardo Alfonzo‘s managerial debut. They only managed seven baserunners in the game. Most of their damage came in the fourth inning. The big hit was a two-run double from Carlos Sanchez. It is his fourth pro-season. He is coming off a .826 OPS season in the GCL.
- LHP Jake Simon (0-0, 6.75 ERA): 4 IP, 2H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
- RHP Joe Napolitano (0-0, 18.00 ERA): 2 IP, 2 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- RHP Gregorix Estevez (0-0, 0.00 ERA): 2 IP, H, 2 BB, K
- RHP Keaton Aldridge (0-0, 0.00 ERA): 1 IP, K
2015 11th rounder, Jake Simon, got the opening day nod for the Cyclones. The lefty struggled with command in the start. Napolitano had two poor innings which led to him taking the loss in this one.
DSL Brewers (9-6) 6, DSL Mets2 (9-6) 5 Box Score
- Jhoander Saez CF: 0 for 4, Run, RBI, BB, K
- Shervyen Newton SS: 1 for 5, RBI, K
- Luis Santana 2B: 2 for 5, 2B
The DSL Mets2 had a 5-3 lead late in this game. Saez is slashing .396/.492/.547 with a 9:13 BB-to-K ratio. The 19 year old is in his first season of pro-ball.
- LHP Nelmerson Xavier Angela (0-0, 2.08 ERA): 3 IP, 4 H, 2 R, ER, BB, K
- RHP Luis Vasquez (1-0, 3.09 ERA): 4.2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
- LHP Daniel Guzman (0-1, 1.23 ERA): 1.1 IP, 2 H, R, 0 ER, K
Vasquez struggled in this one. He gave up the lead late and the team was not able to rebound. Guzman gave up the walk-off run thanks to the “runner starts the inning on second base rule.” The rule is being tried out in the DSL.
DSL Mets1 (9-6) 5, DSL Yankees (8-7) 2 Box Score
- Sebastian Espino SS: 2 for 4, Run, 2B
- Wilfred Astudillo C: 2 for 4, Run, 2B, RBI
- Gilberto Espinoza DH: 1 for 3, Run, HR, RBI, K
Astudillo now has a .915 OPS in the league. He is only 17 and has been playing well thus far. Their offense scored three unanswered in the fifth and sixth to put the game away.
- RHP Jorge Cespedes (2-0, 0.56 ERA): 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 8 K
- LHP Hector Rodriguez (0-0, 1.29 ERA): 3 IP, BB, 5 K
- RHP Jhoanfran Escalona (0-1, 2.84 ERA): 1 IP, H
Cespedes (no relation to Yoenis) split his time the last season between the DSL teams. He has been even more dominant this year. Rodriguez is a 19 year old making his pro-debut this year. He has been solid over seven innings.